Wednesday, August 15, 2012

How To: Make a Pie Crust

I don't know about you but I LOVE baking and I LOVE pie:) For a long time I bought my pie crusts in the store. Then I decided to sit down with my Grandma and learn how to make my own. The first thing I learned is how EASY it is to make a homemade pie crust. So, I am going to walk you through the few steps, and then you will be able to whip up a simple, yet delicious, pie crust in your kitchen....

 These are KEY in making a good pie crust. Crisco is a staple 
in our house;)

Once you have added your water, and your dough should be 
rather dry, this is what you should have.

Add flour to your surface, and using your rolling pin roll
out your doug
h to about 1/8 inch thick.  You can adjust
the thickness based on how you like your pie crust-I like 
mine a little thicker.


Lay your pie crust in your greased pie pan. It should hang 
over the sides. If not, roll it out some more.

Using your hands, press the crust into the pie pan to ensure 
that there isn't any air underneath. Your crust will bubble up if
there are any air pockets.

Using a SHARP knife, go around the edge of the pie pan
and cut off the excess crust. Use the rim of the pan to guide
your knife. If you have a dull knife it will just pull the 
crust and it will make an uneven cut.

The finished product:)

Hopefully you see that this really is a simple task and saves you a couple dollars! Yes, sometimes saving the time is worth it, but if you have it try making your own:) Hope you have a Wonderful Wednesday! I am going to eat some of that Chocolate Pie I made yesterday;) I will share that recipe soon!!!!
RL

Easy Pie Crust

by Rachel Layfield
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Ingredients (2 Pie Crusts)
    Easy Pie Crust
    • 2 cups Self-Rising Flour
    • 1/2 cup Crisco
    • 3/4 cup Water
    Instructions
    In a bowl, add your flour. Using a fork, work in your crisco until it is in pieces the size of a pencil eraser. Add your water and lightly mix with a fork. Once the water is incorporated, use your hands and knead into a ball. Work the crust with your hands until smooth. Use your rolling pin and roll out your crust to about 1/8 inch. Lay crust into pie pan and seal the edges with your hands. With a sharp knife, go around the edge of the pie pan and cut off excess dough. Punch holes in the bottom of your crust with your fork to ensure the crust doesn't fluff up while baking. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments: